Sunday, February 16, 2014

Strasburg Transit


At 5 am, my train pulled into the station in Munich. With my boarding pass in my pocket, I found my seat and stopped fighting off sleep. We started moving around 6 o’clock, and by 10 we’d stopped in the city of Strasburg in Alsace-Lorraine, just over the French border.
A few days earlier when I arrived in Munich, I’d learned that no train would take me to Cannes overnight as I’d planned, hence finding myself in Strasburg on the morning of December 7th. Still I intended to get to Cannes that afternoon, stay the night, and leave for Barcelona in the morning. However, in the Strasburg station I learned that I could take an overnight straight to Barcelona, so I decided that, in order to make the most of my adventure, I would leave Cannes unchecked on my list and instead allow myself more time in Barça. And the bonus to my compromise: I’d get to explore the river city of Strasburg.
Unfortnuately, I was tired and suffering a debilitating sinus headache, so I slumped uncomfortably in a plastic chair, drew my hat over my eyes, and rested up for a few hours, blowing my nose intermittently.
Finally, to my readers’ relief, I woke up around 1 o’clock and decided a walk was the best thing for me. Strasburg was a pretty town. If someone had asked me to describe a small city in the Northeast of France, I would have described Strasburg without ever having seen it: brick sidewalks, three- and four-story stone buildings of varied earth tones, churches, streetlamps, some grass, ample trees, and partly sunny skies.



I walked around the streets and squares, no destination in mind, vaguely keeping track of my way back to the train station. I had all afternoon and early evening to spend. I stopped for several minutes when I reached a bridge, and I leaned over the fence into the wind. The freshest air in the city seemed to come from the river. I let it clear my head. I was hundreds of miles from anyone who knew my name and happy to be there.


I continued my pleasantly uneventful walk beneath stone buildings and across a few plazas. 


Three hours must have gone by before I consulted my map on the whereabouts of the train station. I still had plenty of time when I got there, so I asked a young woman for directions to the nearest internet café. I don’t remember her face, only that her directions were quite vague, but I had little trouble finding the café. There was almost no one else there as I passed an hour or so with French coffee and a sandwich. I then turned back to catch my train, which left around 9 pm.
It was a restful night, despite having to transfer in Avignon and again in Montpelier. I boarded my last train during what the Spanish call las tantas – the small hours of the night – eager to see the magnificent Barcelona, to return to Spain for the last stop on my Eurotrip. I put my sweatshirt between my head and the window and slept through the last couple hours of darkness, reflecting on where I’d been and anticipating things yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment